Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Crossing Over

This was something new done by this Pack. At the end of the end of the year the scouts "cross over" in a little ceremony. Josh went from a Tiger to a Bear (or maye is a Bobcat...I get the levels mixed up).





You will notice that Nate is missing from this post. Neither Nate or Josh had completed all the the requirements to move on but they were close. They were both allowed to go through the cross over ceremony & finish the rest of their requirements needed this summer. Nate decided he did not want to go. I think he was a bit tired & started in with one of his "pity me parties" (at least that is what I call them). He said he didn't earn it so he couldn't go. Jim and I explained once that he would cross over & then finish but Nate didn't want to listen. I think his actions are much just an attempt at attention but we have decided not to encourage the negative attitude with attention. Our strategy when he starts with this pity me attitude is to give him no extra attention...we explained the situation but were not about to force him or "beg" him to do go...so we let it go. Josh and Jim left without Nate. I think Nate was a bit surprised & then very disappointed when Josh came home with his new badge and scarf. Hopefully it is a lesson learned for him.

2 comments:

grandpa g said...

Has Uncle Randy seen this handsome Scout!!! Aunt Ginny and Uncle Randy will put this handsome Boy Scout on their frig. Uncle Randy will love hiking with this Scout.
Gpa G

grandpa g said...

Hi Josh! Uncle Randy here. I like the picture and video of your crossover! Actually, all of the photos and notes are great! I am glad for you that you have continued on, and hope that you stick with Scouting.
Encourage your brother Nate to continue on. Remember scouts are kind and friendly, and sometimes we all need a lift from someone we care about.

Until we meet again around the campfire, be well and do good things.
Uncle Randy