Saturday, April 25, 2009

It is so true that kids have many different cries, some cause alarm & some can be ignored. Last night, I heard a cry from Zach that I had never heard before! He fell from a play structure, he really did not fall far..maybe 3 feet..slipped on a ladder...but he fall right on his rear & hit hard. I think it knocked the wind out of him & he let out this cry of anguish. His entire face showed the pain. He couldn't breath. I just held him, trying to get him settled down but he just kept crying. Jim was there & picked him up & tried also to comfort Zach with no success. We carried him to the car & put him in his seat. He wouldn't stand but he could move his feet. He kept crying that his back hurt. After a few more minutes, he settled down a bit but still had tears streaming down his face. In all, it had probably only been 10-12 minutes since his fall but it seemed much, much longer! We decided to just take him home & see how he did. One the way home, I stopped at McDonald's for a strawberry shake for him. By the time we got home, he had settled down a little more. He finished his shake & I gave him a long, hot bath. I had him do some stretches with me. He said that his back still hurt some when he moved certain ways but that it was better.

I expected him to be sore today when he woke up but he seemed absolutely fine...which I am grateful for. It was hard to know what to do last night...he was in such pain when he fell but it was not like a cut or broken bone...still moments that were painful for me also as I felt helpless to help him!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Poor guy! I'm sure it really scared him too on top of hurting himself! Glad he is feeling better though!

grandpa g said...

gpa g

grandpa g said...

Thank God for having a safe grandchild. Daddy went to the emergency room 4 times while living at home on the farm. Guess the farm was not a safe place for Daddy to grow on. Only Uncle Dave said 1 time that Jim went was because he got mad at a cow while he was milking and broke his hand.