Friday, May 16, 2008

It is not always laughter & giggles at our house...in fact, tonight two of my kids showed their not-so great sides!

Josh had soccer practice at 6. Jim was just walking in about the time we needed to leave. I left Zach with Jim and took the other 3 boys with me. Josh's practice is at Nate & Josh's school, so all the boys like to go along and play on the playground. Jim came up about 15 minutes after practice started & brought Zach. I sat on a blanket & played with Ethan, while watching Josh practice & also Nate and Zach play....all good so far!

About 7, I decided to leave because Ethan was getting tired & everyone needed baths (I was not sure how much longer practice would run). Ethan and I were sitting on a big blanket...I folded up the blanket, picked it up, picked up Ethan & also some toys. This is the beginning of the I am going to kill my kids part....so wanted to make it clear that my arms are really full!

I walked over to the play structure where Nate and Zach are & let them know that it is almost time to go. Nate is obviously not happy & asks why. I tell him that it was getting late & that we need to go to get home & bath everyone in time for bed. I let them play a few minutes and chatted with a dad that was standing there. So then I called Nate and Zach & said that we now needed to leave. I hear a big "no!" from Nate. Here is were I start to lose my patience...remember, I am standing there with my arms full, I gave them there warning & now it is time to go. I particularly didn't appreciate Nate taking this moment to argue in front of another parent! I finally gather up Nate & then it is time to get Zach. He has followed Nate's lead & is not real happy about leaving. He runs off and climbs up a play structure. I go over & try to coax him down...no luck...so I just have to grab him and pull him down...course this is a real test of my mom abilities because my hands were already full. Nate's outburst now pales in comparison with the show that Zach puts on! Zach SCREAMS as I drag him to the van while trying to to drop Ethan in the process. Zach is hysterical & no talking or reasoning will work at this point...just time to drag him to the van. Once we made it to the van, it was very clear that I could not let go of Zach because he was going to run away. I enlist Nate's help to hold Zach long enough for me to put Ethan in his seat. Then I turn to Zach, really I just want to strangle him but I know he is tired (no nap) & I tried to take that into consideration. I pick him up, try to tickle him & make him laugh thinking maybe I could snap him out of his mood...no good. By that time we are around the van & I buckle him into his seat. He is yelling that Nate hurt him (not really, Nate just held him) & he is also saying that Nate is NOT his best friend...okay, now you know he is hysterical!

He screams the entire ride home, all the way into the house, while I take his clothes off for a bath & while getting into the bath. There was about 15 seconds when I put him into to the tub that he laughed but it quickly turned back to screaming when I didn't put as much water in the tub as he wanted. I bathed up both boys (Zach & Ethan), got them out, dressed them both & the sent Zach to his room. During all this time he is still crying and screaming. Throughout our activities, I tried a few times to break his mood but he was just so tired & worked himself up that I was not going to be able to help him. He was really mad at me. Let me tell you, he is lucky that I just sent him to bed....I was so frustrated & had absolutely no patience left. Jim cam home about 5-10 minutes after I sent Zach to bed. I told him about my adventure & suggested that he go in & try to work with Zach (yes, Zach was still crying and fussing). Jim was able to go in & calm him down.

So that is my story....most of the time my boys are pretty good but then have their moments as well. I can not remember the last time that Zach acted up this much & hopefully it will be a long time before we see this side of Zach again!

No comments: